Monday, August 8, 2011

Finally I hear God

So for most of my adult life, I've heard people remark that God told them this or that. I never heard God speak, not in my head, out-loud or in my dreams and felt maybe, just maybe he had nothing to say to me!  But in this last year, there is no other explanation but God had his hand on stuff.
I have a very touching story of how he used me, but can't post about it quite yet.  But I will tell you of another time.
I need to preface this with my mother is 84, and although I have a living sister and 3 living brothers, one of which lives with her, all her care is up to me.  I make and take her to all doctor appts, hair appts, and grocery, order her prescriptions, pay her bills and unfortunately have watched her slowly and now more rapidly slip into Alzheimer's. It has not formally been diagnosed, but I know it either that or Dementia. My youngest brother that lives with her can only borrow the neighbors car when he needs beer or go out on his boat.  Although he is a mechanic, he decided he couldn't fix his car and junked it!
So my only request to my mom is to please let me sleep late on Saturdays since Mon thru Friday I babysit my 3 grandbabies ages 14months, 22 months and 4 years old from 7 am til 7 pm. So one Saturday she started calling at like 8am, the reason for her call, she wanted to go get the prep stuff for some test that I didn't want her to have.(she called 3 times in less than hour)  The test was not even scheduled since 2 days earlier she was in hosp with BP 229/112.  Both her cardiologist and I felt too soon after that to go thru "cleansing" for some gastro test.  Mom and I had talked about it and she knew she was going to wait, but on Saturday morning, she decided she needed all the stuff so when appointment was scheduled she would have it.  I tried to explain to her that she didn't need it yet because test not scheduled and when it was - we would go get all items she needed and put them in a special place so she would have them (Gatorade, Popsicle without red dye and some crap she had to drink) So some of you might be thinking, well just go get the stuff to ease her mind - because if I did the 16 yr old son of my youngest brother would drink the gatorade and eat the Popsicles as he has never been taught some things are off limits or my mom would drink the gatorade which has too much salt for her which would cause other issues.
So after 3 phone calls, I gave in said fine, I'll come take you to get the stuff, I'm on my way.  I will not lie, I was mad - mad cause I couldn't sleep late, mad because I'm the only one taking care of her, mad because she is slipping away into her own world and there is nothing I can do about it.  So I'm driving down road, mad and talking to myself, when outta the blue as I'm passing a palm tree, I see a palm frond come detached from tree in slow motion and "float" down BOOM right onto my car.  I couldn't get outta the way, but I will also say I had no idea how heavy those things are.  Well I kept driving, but immediately I am now mad about my car and that dang palm frond thinking it had scratched my car.
And in that instant I got it - like God was saying want something to be mad about - BOOM - how about this - stop being mad at your mom for waking you up, and your brother for not stepping up to help and the Alzeimer's - be mad because this palm frond just screwed up your car.  I pulled into my mom's driveway and tried to get outta the car to go get mom and the door wouldn't open easily - I had to really shove it open and I looked at my car and the entire bumper and part of door looked like an elephant had rammed my car.  It wasn't a little scratch it was a FLAT bumper instead of a pretty curved one. And that interfered with my door opening.  I do thank God that the dang thing didn't crash into my windshield and kill me, because then who would take care of my mom?

So the next morning my husband calls the city, because the palm tree was on their property - guess what the guy told him ................The palm frond falling is an act of God --- the city is not liable.  Yep even he knew God was talking to me.
So my husband and son banged out the huge dent and the door opens now - it is not as pretty as before, but a daily reminder to me that I need to be more aware of what I'm mad about.

No comments:

Post a Comment