Saturday, August 20, 2011

Buying grandchildren presents on a budget

Christmas is rapidly approaching and many of us grandparents are struggling on our budgets now.  I have a tote box that I put in a handy spot to store some of my gifts.  So here's some ideas for you:
JC Penney's mails out $10 off of $10 purchase cards - I've used that to purchase PJ's, decorative pillows, cute little purses for the girls / boys are a little harder but how about PJ's, some of the pillows can be for boys, many shirts for girls and boys are within the $10 range.
Kohls also mails out $10 off $10 purchase cards - they have a few counters of toys both for boys and girls - many are around the $10 range. Today I scored a Cinderella and Prince poly pocket style dolls - it was 12.99 on sale for $10.29 - so I paid 29 cents plus tax.
Target has great clearance sales on toys - many games were just on clearance for as low as 4.99.  I do take the time to read about the game before buying it as I'm gonna be the one stuck playing it.  Guess Who has proved to be my 4 yr old granddaughters favorite game along with a Curious George Discovery Beach game.
Sports Authority has sent me 2 different sales ads in the mail and wahoo .....inside were $10 off any purchase cards - which I scored free Nike socks  :)
Disney Store also does some great sales - I usually find them thru Hip2Save.(see below)
Before you do the next step, I suggest you make another email address for yourself that you will use for giveaways, alerts and emails from blogs.  I keep one for my personal emails so that it doesn't get clogged with junk mail.  I follow a couple of blogs: Hip2Save, Slickdeals are 2 of them.  I signed up for Tanga emails- I was recently able to purchase 2 little kits for in the car with tire pressure gauge, a pen and something else in a nice little case - it was free - I had to pay shipping - (from Tanga) -  Hip2save is very popular and the deals go quick - but I've gotten some great deals  - Slickdeals post a lot of the deals a few minutes before she does, but I sometimes find it hard to follow.   So far with the deals, I've gotten Woman's Day for mom ($3.99, All You magazine for me (11.98), and a National Geographic Jr (for $7) magazine for my granddaughter and Taste of home magazine also for $4.99.  All were year subscriptions and when the deal comes around again I'll get for my daughter in laws and mom for Christmas.  There are men's magazines also that come up fairly cheap.
I also follow My Frugal Adventures on facebook.  Many and I mean a lot of business have facebook pages now and do giveaways.  I've scored free Aussie shampoo and Herbal Essence shampoo recently.  They mail you a coupon and you go to the store of your choice
Til next time happy inexpensive shopping





3 comments:

  1. Oh these are great! Thank you! I have started Christmas shopping so this will help tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all the posts, and just trying to comment! Love you!

    ReplyDelete