Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My Birthday Surprise

My adult kids totally surprised me !!!  I am usually hard to surprise cause I'm nosy.
For birthdays - birthday person chooses their meal - so a few weeks before my birthday - my daughter and daughter in laws decided we should go to my favorite BBQ place for dinner (LOL) - it is 45 minutes drive from here and we usually only go there when we are going to or from Orlando to the outlets.  But they convinced me that on a Friday nite it was not nuts to drive 45 minutes in rush hour traffic to eat at my favorite place - so that was the plan.  So Friday morning my daughter calls, says I took your birthday off and I'm doing something with  2 of the grand-kids (normally I babysit them everyday) She says you will only have the 22 month old granddaughter. I found out later that they left her with me to keep me from spoiling the surprise by going home after I took mom to the doctor.  (ahhh they know me well) - So my daughter slipped into my house and packed my bag while I had mom at the doctor - then she and my son and 2 of the grand-kids drove to Kissimme(Orlando) - and checked into the Star Island Resort and Club in Kissimme, Fl. Then went and stocked the suite with groceries for the weekend. And she made one of my favorite meals Baked Chicken Supreme. Also behind the scenes, my oldest grandson was being dropped off by his aunt (he had spent the week with her), but she drove him to the hotel and dropped him off (1/2 hour in other direction) Meanwhile, I was at DIL's house babysitting.
When my son and dil arrived home - we took granddaughter and my husband and I and headed for the restaurant (or so I thought)- My other son and dil were only a few mins behind us. And for those of you that don't know - I'm a backseat driver - even when in front seat. So as we approached the exit, I'm telling my son you need to get off here - he's like good thing you told me I've never been to this restaurant before, my dil asked me a question and I turned to answer and HE DROVE RIGHT PAST EXIT.  I turned around and about freaked - you have to drive 41 miles north to next exit - it will be closed - he's like relax giving my brother time to catch up LOL  - as he passed the next exit I realized something was up and was told to stop asking questions.
When we were just 2 blocks away I had to close my eyes until they parked and led me in - What a cool place this was - 3 bedrooms, 2 bath - fully setup kitchen - and dinner smelled and tasted awesome.  They had decorated and even got me a pinata! - My 4 year old granddaughter last year made her parents buy each birthday person a pinata - she is relentless when she decides something and sometimes we just have to give in. So this year she asked what kinda pinata did I want - I said one with money!  Well - they went to dollar store and bought fake dollars and coins and filled that pinata with money ! and of course lollipops.
After dinner we headed for the pool.  The pool at Star Island Resort is family friendly - it has an area within the pool that little ones can play in - and goes to about 6 foot deep on far end.  It was not overcrowded so it was easy to keep an eye on the little ones and it is open til midnight.
Later we needed a couple blankets and something in the kitchen - called and within 5 mins they were knocking on the door.  We will go back there again - I'm thinking we liked this better than Nick hotel - which can get really really crowded.
Breakfast the next day was my son's bacon - he even brought his grill - and waffles
Lunch - my daughter in law made pasta salad and my daughter got this cool package of lunchmeat for subs that is a kit - for italian subs - 4 meats laid out on paper and stacked for 8 people - awesome kit.
Dinner - my daughter and daughter in laws made homemade tortilla's - and my other son made his delicious salsa
Breakfast the next day was eggs .......delish - then we had to pack and leave but not before going in the pool one more time.
Dessert - a huge chocolate chip cookie cake .........yum

So just when I thought the surprises were over - they gave me a Kindle and a Vera Bradley case for it.
I felt so so special that weekend- nothing is better than hanging out with your 4 adult kids- 2 awesome daughter-in-laws and 4 grand kids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment