Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Why adopt overseas - and Pampered Chef

So for the eighteen months or so, I've been friends with a girl that adopted. Her family began the adoption overseas, but God had different plans and she adopted from US.  When it was still an overseas adoption, I asked her - why choose overseas when there are children here that need to be adopted.  It was an eye-opening conversation.

In the USA - families with 4 children are rarely considered- I know you are thinking but I've seen some special needs children that have been adopted into a large family - YES - they were part of the foster parent system - and the foster parents adopted them.
The wait list for baby/toddler is something like 10 years - your income has to be outrageous. 
Overseas will let you adopt based on income/family size ratio - In the USA there are still orphanages but not as many - the shift is to foster care - 
For both types of adoption you go thru home studies - someone comes in and checks out your house/family interaction etc (i really don't know much else that goes on but do know you have to pass)
So then I started reading some blogs of people that are in the process of adopting and I'm saddened by the conditions I read about - Children with Down Syndrome that are left to lay in rooms all day long - couple diaper changes and a bottle with a huge hole cut out of the nipple - 5 year old kids that look to be 6 months old - that can't walk, or talk and shy away from any physical touching - no hugs, no sitting on laps - that is just sad ...sad .... sad.  Because of the countries they are in - the blogs are very careful to not complain too much about conditions because the country will just shut down adoptions. One already has ..........one has threatened to. ..........
So I say to myself - a child with Down Syndrome - is just as worthy of being loved as any other child - And my online friend Mandy and her husband and 2 kids are welcoming 2 boys near age 5 from 2 different orphanages .....I am drawn to her blog - and her story .......and her much anticipated trip to actually meet these 2 little ones which she will name Joseph and Samuel.  I have posted about her and her fundraisers but another online friend Susie and I will be having a Pampered Chef fundraiser to help her try to raise the 3990 that she still needs to fulfill the adoptions. 
I'll be posting about that in next day or so ------keep your eyes peeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment